Establishing a Department of Peace
Bill Bhaneja, Member, Canadian Pugwash Group and Co-founder, Canadian Peace Initiative(CDPI), www.departmentofpeace.ca
On 30 November 2011, a Private Members Bill C-373: "An Act to Establish a Department of Peace in the Federal Government" was introduced in the House of Commons for first reading by the NDP MP Alex Atamanenko. The Bill was co-seconded by Green Party MP Elizabeth May and Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis.
The full text of the bill c-373 can be accessed on the Parliament of Canada website at the link: http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=5280365
Dr. Walter Dorn - Upcoming Presentations
Walter Dorn is a professor of defence studies at the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) and the Canadian Forces College (CFC). He serves as Chair of the CFC's Department of Security and International Affairs. In the past, he has served as co-chair of the CFC's Department of Security Studies and as Deputy Director of Outreach and Community Development. He is also Chair of Canadian Pugwash, an organization of physical, life and social scientists seeking to reduce the threats to global security.
Scheduled Public Presentations
See details at www.walterdorn.org
KEEPING WATCH : Monitoring, Technology and Innovation in UN Peace Operation:
Monday, 5 December 2011, 12:30 - 2:00 pm, Alumni Boardroom,Carleton University
Political and Technological Innovation in UN Peace Operations: Canadian Contributions?
Friday, December 2, 2011, 1:00 p.m. - 2;30 p.m. Seagram Room, CIGI Building, 57 Erb St. W, Waterloo
The Past, Present and Future of Canadian Peacekeeping; A Debate
Thursday, November 24th, 2011, 3;15pm - 5:00 pm, Department of Philosophy, Jackman Humanities Building, 170 St. George Street, Room 418.
@ Disarming Conflict, by Ernie Regehr
Ernie Regehr, O.C. is Research Fellow at the Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, Conrad Grebel University College, the University of Waterloo, and a Fellow of The Simons Foundation of Vancouver. He is co-founder of Project Ploughshares, the Ecumenical Peace Centre of the Canadian Council of Churches and one of Canada’s premier peace and security NGOs (http://www.ploughshares.ca/).
- The new Iran talks: will both sides finally take the steps they have so far refused?
- New Fighter Aircraft: 36-year Life-Cycle Cost Estimate Comparisons
- Canadian uranium and China’s nuclear weapons arsenal
- Returning to the basics of the Iran nuclear question
- Who will sit at the Afghan negotiating table?
- Canadian drones and the UN arms embargo on Libya
- Red Cross champions Nuclear Weapons Convention, Canada still tentative
- Ernie Regehr's conversation with David A. Welch, CIGI Chair of Global Security and Interim Director of the Balsillie School of International Affairs, on civil society and peace advocacy.
- The Mumbai attacks, South Asia’s nuclear confrontation, and the “Ottawa Dialogue”
- Conversation with David A. Welch, CIGI chair